Friday, April 17, 2009

Just My Imagination?

I'd been in denial the weekend before I started this blog. I see that now. I told myself I was seeing and hearing things that weren't there, that my imagination was running wild. Most everything I saw was out of the corner of my eye. How easy is that to blow out of proportion? I couldn't put an explanation on anything I heard, so it was simple to chalk up to the house settling or whatever.

That's all that happened that weekend, too, but there was more to it, and that's what sent my spidey senses tingling. I'd walk through the house and it felt like someone was watching me. It wasn't like my sisters were playing a game of spy with me as bait or anything. For one thing, I knew exactly where they were practically every time I got the feeling, and for another, they were too old to be doing that. That's not me saying that, but my sisters--Dana acts like the grown-up college girl around the house, and Zoe is in that phase where getting caught acting immature is the worst thing ever. It also wasn't my parents for the same reason that I knew where they were, but also that they're the type that would come right out and confront me if something was bothering them. They wouldn't waste time spying.

I realize me saying I felt like I was being watched sounds both vague and paranoid. I also felt cold spots all weekend unlike I'd ever felt in the house before, so that added to it. Don't forget I was still seeing the unexplained shadows and hearing the knocks. All of it added up to freaking me out, but I still convinced myself that I was imagining it all.

I casually brought up haunted houses to my sisters, just to see their reactions. Maybe they were experiencing all the same stuff but hadn't said anything. Dana gave me the eye roll she always used when she thought I said something stupid. Zoe went the opposite direction and gushed about how cool she thought ghosts and haunted houses were, and how much she wished we didn't live in such a boring house. There was no way she'd call our house boring if she felt just a fraction of what I had. Right then I decided that something wasn't going on, that something was wrong with me. I didn't think I was crazy or anything, but I figured I was making too much out of normal everyday things. Just because I couldn't explain what was happening didn't mean there wasn't an easy explanation.

As the weekdays came and rolled through, nothing changed except my attitude. I kept seeing, hearing, and feeling things, but I alternated between ignoring them and trying to figure out what the cause was. Neither proved successful. Thursday night was the breaking point, the reason I decided that maybe it wasn't all in my head. Unless all hell breaks loose in the next day or two, I'll explain in the next post.

Back in the present, things have been quiet here since Wednesday afternoon, but I keep waiting for the ghost to come back. I can still sense its presence, but I haven't heard or seen anything. It's like it's waiting for the perfect time to make itself known again, and that has me a bit worried. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment